Thursday, July 26, 2012

Guided Reading

I once read that learning to read is one of life's most difficult challenges, but we are required to accomplish reading at such a young age.  Either way, it is one of the best parts of teaching.  There is nothing more rewarding than starting with a student in August who can barely write their name and who thinks that words are just strings of letters who transforms into a fluent, proud reader of chapter books by May.  <3

I am huge on Guided Reading.  In my classroom, I implement Daily Five.  I use the CAFE and love Jan Richardson's book, The Next Step in Guided Reading.  I have started creating learning cheat-sheets for parents.  These cheat-sheets go along with everything in this book.  Check them out in my TPT store.  (It is my only item so far.)  I will have levels A-J complete soon.  I keep finding mistakes so if you do download them and notice a mistake, just shoot me an email and I'll send you the latest copy.  Sorry, I am new at this.  :)  I hope to use these cheat-sheets and teacher recording forms (to be created) to generate a "word work" grade.  Students will use the cheat-sheets during Daily Five and for homework. I will use them to guide instruction during Guided Reading Groups.   It will be great for differentiating instruction and assessment.  

I got a chance to test out levels A and C with some students I tutor. They live down the street so it is super convenient.  I left the sheets with Mom and she said she really liked them.  She said, "It will help to know what kind of words to practice reading and spelling with them."  That's my hope!  :)



If you love those mats check out Really Good Stuff! I ordered them last week and love them.  They are perfect for word building.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment